Springpad Web Clipper for iPad

with 138 Comments

I have been using Evernote and Instapaper off and on for quite a while, but they have never really met my needs. They both do great things and I highly recommend them to everyone, but there were many features that I wanted that weren’t there. Enter Springpad. I like the categories that they use, the planning, the lists, reminders, to do’s and of course the interface is important to me. An app like this will be one that is used throughout your day and I can’t have something that is hard to look at. All of these features, and more, are what made Springpad easy and beneficial to use.  This isn’t going to be a comparison between the three apps. I will leave that to the tech bloggers who get paid to do such things. One feature, though, that was strangely absent, and which I must have, was a web clipper for Safari on the iPad. Of course, I googled it and found many other people were searching for an answer, but no one seemed to know how to make it work. I knew Instapaper had a workaround that works pretty well using a javascript. So, I talked to one of my programmer buddies and after about ten minutes he emailed me a new javascript which works. It may look kind of tedious, but it is really beyond simple.

Let’s get started. To begin with, these are iPad instructions, but can be used for your iPhone too. First, you need to click on the Settings button on your iPad. Under Safari, make sure your Always Show Bookmarks Bar is turned ON. Once you have done that, click your home button and open Safari.

NOTE: There does seem to be a bit of lag and I am not sure if that is Springpad’s site or something else, but it seems to lag whenever I use this clipper or their web clipper in Safari on my Mac. It could just be that there is a lot of traffic on their site right now.
UPDATE: Click Here to download the text file to copy and then paste into the bookmark for the Springpad Webclipper. WordPress is forcing an extra line break that shouldn’t be in the script. When viewing this in notepad or any text editor, make sure the script is a single line. (Make sure wordwrap is disabled.) Please let me know if anyone is still having any issues.

138 Responses

1. Kirk

Here is the script to be copied:

javascript:(function(){SP_HOST=’springpadit.com';try{var x=document.createElement(‘SCRIPT’);x.type=’text/javascript';x.src=’http://’+SP_HOST+’/public/clipper_inline.js?’+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName(‘head’)[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=SP_HOST+’/clip.action?url=’+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+’&title=’+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

2. Katin from Springpad

Kirk – This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this – I will pass it along to our users.

3. […] Sample posted his own instructions for adding the Springpad Clipper to the iPad. It works on the iPhone, […]

4. Erin

This doesn’t seem to work on mine… What did I do wrong?? :(

• Kirk

Hi Erin. I’m not quite sure. I would be more than happy to try and help you figure this out because I use the web clipper daily and it is so nice to have. Did you pull the javascript from my comments?

5. Michael Diamant

Seemed to work once but now doesn’t work for me anymore either – great idea though and i’ll watch this page for updates.

• Kirk

Michael. I have just emailed you and Erin the actual JavaScript that my friend wrote. I don’t know if there is a problem with WordPress formatting, but it seems to have issues when copying it out of my blog. I redid the clipper on my iPhone this morning just to make sure I am not crazy and it processed just fine. One thing to remember: If you can’t see the address bar when using this on your iPad or iPhone, you will need to scroll back up to the top of the web page. It opens right off of the address bar. I hope this helps.

6. Erin

Thanks so much for the email, Kirk! I copy pasted the code in the email and it works fantastic now! :-) yes, previously I pulled the JavaScript from your comment. Maybe it’s the formatting like you said, I don’t know. But I’m so happy now that it works! Thank! :-)

7. Kirk

I am glad it worked for you Erin. I wish I knew more about JavaScripts and programming, but I don’t. That is what friends are for. :)

If anyone else is having problems, leave a comment and I will email you the JavaScript. Thanks.

8. Bailey

I don’t know if there is a way to do this on the iPod touch, but I hope there is. I followed the directions as best as I could, but on my iPod, with the latest software, there isn’t a way to always show the bookmarks bar. Therefore, I don’t know what to do. I did all the other instructions exactly, but unfortunately there’s no way to do anything else.

If you have the time, could you please try to make this work on the iPod touch? Thank you.

• Kirk

Hi Bailey. I am not positive about the iTouch, but it should be exactly the same as the iPhone. My instructions for the iPad and iPhone are kind of misleading because the iPad will show the bookmarks bar while the iPhone doesn’t. Try it again, but just skip that first paragraph before the actual steps where I tell you to go into your settings. You don’t have to do that because the iOS doesn’t allow it on the iPhone and I am assuming the iTouch. Start on Step 1 and everything should be the same from there.

Once you have the JavaScript bookmark you will webclip via the Bookmarks menu. Say you want to clip something on the current webpage you are visiting. You will press the Bookmark button on the bottom of the browser, select the bookmark that you named Spring It! and added the JavaScript to and that will bring up the web clipper for Springpad.

If these instructions don’t make sense or it doesn’t work, let me know and I will redo them in a step by step guide for the iPhone and iTouch.

9. Bailey

Unfortunately Kirk, that didn’t work. Everything you said makes sense, but, as has been said, I think the formatting on the JavaScript just might not be right in the comment. I put it into a bookmark as the address, labeled it “Spring It!,” and yet every time I try to use it on a page, nothing happens.

Perhaps you could email the original JavaScript to me? I’m sorry if this is an inconvenience for you, but maybe it will help others in the future. Thank you, again.

10. Bailey

Woohoo! Thank you Kirk. I have been able to successfully use all of your steps and now I can use the Web Clipper whenever I want.

Initially, I took the JavaScript from the email, and followedthe steps, only to find that it still didn’t work. This may have been a copying error on my part. I then sent myself an email containing only the JavaScript, nothing else. Next I followed the steps, once again, and it worked!

Most likely my first attempt was a mistake, but I can’t be sure. Again, thank you so much, as I’m sure I will use this every day.

11. Linda

I can’t get it to work. I select and press copy for the script and then touch bookmarks, edit, and then have nowhere to paste the script. What am I missing?

12. Frank

Kirk – Seem to be having the same problem others have had. Wondering if you could send me an email with the JavaScript?

13. Don de Castro

Hi Kirk,

I am trying to get this JavaScript to work, unfortunately copying it from the comments isn’t working for me. Would love to. Be able to get this to work on my iPad. And by the way I just found out about your blog and You can count on me as a repeat visitor.

Thanks

• Kirk

Thanks for visiting my blog. Don, I have emailed the JavaScript to you and to Frank and Linda. Please let me know if it doesn’t work and I will see what I can do to help. Thanks.

14. Andrew

I can’t get it to work on my iPad. Says URL cannot be opened

15. Jo

Hi, there, Kirk!

I also can’t get it work just by copying the javascript from here….could you email it to me as well?

Thanks so much!

16. Sigrid

Hi I’d love to get one of those emails too. Since it doesn’t seem to work for me either. Thanks Kirk, can’t wait to get it to work!

• Kirk

Hi Sigrid, I have just sent the email to you and to Jo. Please let me know if it doesn’t work. Thanks.

17. Jo

It works, it works!
    Thanks for the email!

18. Kirk

Awesome! I am glad it works.

I apologize that copying it out of the comments and the post doesn’t work, but I am kind at a loss as to why. I don’t mind emailing it though.

19. Abdullah

Thank you very much KIrk for the script
    Hope you email me the Code

20. Newt Barrett

Kirk,
    Here’s what I pasted:
    javascript:(function(){SP_HOST=’springpadit.com‘;try{var x=document.createElement(‘SCRIPT’);x.type=’text/javascript’;x.src=’http://’+SP_HOST+’/public/clipper_inline.js?’+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName(‘head’)[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=SP_HOST+’/clip.action?url=’+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+’&title=’+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

I couldn’t get to work either. I used a similar javascript piece of code to do ‘view source’ and that worked so I know it’s possible.
    Did I mis-copy?
    Thanks,
    Newt

• Kirk

Hi Newt. The JavaScript looks good to me, but for some reason, and I have no idea why, when it is copied out of WordPress something changes in the JavaScript to make it not work. Frustrating to say the least. I have just emailed you the JavaScript, as this seems to work for everyone. Please let me know if it doesn’t. Thanks.

21. Newt Barrett

Kirk,
    Thanks so much. I do love WordPress in any case. I’ll just have to forgive this one faux pas.
    I have become a big fan of SpringPad. I think it fits my eclectic nature.
    Newt

• Kirk

Thanks for the nice email Newt. I am glad it worked for you. I do like WordPress, but don’t like when I can’t figure out why something is happening. Obviously, I am not abandoning them. :)

Springpad is absolutely amazing and I recommend it to everyone. Mom’s, artists, designers, business men, etc. It really fits into our lives very well and the Springpad Webclipper becomes and intricate part of that. I can’t imagine not being able to clip information from my iPhone or iPad. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

22. Chris

Hi Kirk. First of all, thanks for posting this and for going to the trouble to try to find a solution to the Spring It! iPad issue. Unfortunately, i cannot get the JavaScript to work either. Would you mind emailing the script to me as well. Thanks again!

23. Charles

Put me in your email queue please! I’ve looked at every character in your code after pasting and cannot make it work. Thank you Kirk!

24. GH

Hi can you please email me the script -not working for me either. Thanks

25. Mike jennings

Hi Kirk,

Could I prevail on you to email the script?

I’m sure this driving you nuts;so sorry! And thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I just sent the JavaScript to you GH, Charles and Chris. Please let know if it doesn’t work.

To Everyone: Don’t worry about asking me to send the webclipper. I don’t mind and it really is nice to have. I just copy and paste it basically.

26. Ron Salole

Hi Kirk
    I hated to ask you for the email and seeing your note that said you didn’t mind sending the script is very generous of you. Me too please.

• Kirk

No worries Ron. I have just emailed the script to you, Glen and Juan. Please let me know if you have any issues.

27. Glenn

Please email me the code as well. I’ve tried everything else and I’m looking forward to working with the app.

Thanks for your patience.

28. Juan

Hi Kirk,

Could I get one of those emails as well. Thanks in advance.

Juan

29. Don

Could not get it to work. Could I get one of those emails. Thanks

• Kirk

Don, I just sent it over. Thanks.

30. Dustyn

Hi Kirk, don’t suppose you could add me to the email list too please?

• Kirk

Hi Dustyn, I just emailed it to you. Let me know if there are any problems.

31. Josh

Please email me the script as well. Thank you.

32. AJ

Hi Kirk,

Would you mind emailing me the JavaScript, please? Thank you in advance!

33. Snaedis

Would be wonderful if you could e-mail me the script. Thanks :)

Hi Snaedis,
      I have just emailed the JavaScript to you and to AJ. Please let me know if it doesn’t work.

• Kirk

The new UPDATE underneath the instructions should be working correctly. If it doesn’t, please email me and I will send you the JavaScript. Thanks.

34. Ash

Hi Kirk!

I came across your blog completely by accident! I downloaded this app specifically for the clipper, and nearly abandoned it when I couldn’t make it work! Glad I didn’t now! Would you mind sending me the JavaScript also please?
    Thanks
    Ash
    x

35. John

My wife loves th app on her iPad, I’m trying to love it on my iPhone but not having any success. Probably need you to send me the script. Hopefullythat will work.

Thanks

• Kirk

Hi John. I just sent you the JavaScript.

36. Greg

Hi, Could you please email the text.
    Thanks, Greg

• Kirk

Hi Greg. I just sent you the JavaScript.

37. Gabriel Porras

Take a look of the ipad instruccions for the Twitter Bookmarklet!!

It’ll be cool “Spring Pad It” do the same as easy!
    Thanks!

38. Caroline

Thanks so much for this – it’s brilliant! Most of my web browsing is on my iPad and now I can Spring to my hearts content. Really appreciate your putting the effort in to find this solution and share it.

• Kirk

Thanks Caroline for the nice comment. I know the feeling of having this on the iPad. I use it daily. :) Thanks.

39. Missy

I have tried about 10 times to add spring it to my 3G iPhone. It will not work. I used the newer code, made sure no spaces. What else can I try?

Thx. Missy

40. Paul

I can’t get it to work either. It is a killer idea, and would love to get it to work. Any words of wisdom would be great.

• Kirk

Hi Paul. I just sent you and Missy an email with the JavaScript. It is really hard to say why it may not be working as I am not there. All I can say is try with the emailed script. I hope this works fir you.

41. anya

kirk, help! please email me the javascript, too. i just got
    the ipad & the springpad…in love with both! thanks so
    much!

42. Travis Wilson

Kirk- I have recently become a faithful reader, and found
    the wonders of spring pad for my daily life. I like everyone else
    would love to have the JavaScript emailed so I can finally figure
    out this we clipping debacle I have come across!! Please help!
    Cheer, Travis Wilson Flashtrav@hotmail.com

• Kirk

Hi Travis, I have just sent you the javascript. I hope everything works well for you. Happy New Year!

43. Donna

Kirk, would you please email the javascript for my new
    Ipad. You are terrific to do this for everyone. This springing will
    get me organized yet! Thanks so much

44. Barb

Kirk, can you email the JavaScript? This will make me very
    happy! Love spring pad but really need to be able to spring from
    iPad!

45. Maz

Hi kirk. Thank you so much for your amazing help. Any chance you could email me the JavaScript too? :)

46. Mt Gould

May you please email me the java script for spring it.
    Thank you!

47. maribel guardia

I very adore your own posting choice, very remarkable.

48. […] Install the bookmarklet on your phone’s browser so you can bookmark project-related webpages on the go. […]

49. david@apuan.com

Trying to load the SpringIt on my iPad with no luck. Can you email me the java script. In advance thank you for your help.

50. Dede Targowski

Awesome! Got it to work on my ipad and itouch. Now going to try my Droid X

• Kirk

Thanks Dede. I am glad it worked for you.

51. Lakshmi

Hi kirk m trying desperately to make this work for me in my iPad I guess something wrong with my copy paste work…. Can you please mail me the java script…. It would be of such a grrrrrr8 help to me,,

• Kirk

Hi Lakshmi, I have just emailed you the JavaScript.

52. Lakshmi

Hi kirk thnx a tonne it worked perfect for me !!! Appreciate the fact that your taking time out to help so many like me! Thnx again

53. Mandy

Thank you so much!! I was pulling out my hair trying to figure this out!!

54. Lindy

Kirk, please e-mail the java script to me. I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks

• Kirk

Lindy. Your email address came back as undeliverable.

55. Tammy

I can’t seem to make it work either. Please email me the Java script. Thanks in advance. Great work!

• Kirk

Hi Tammy. I just emailed you the script.

56. Barbara Surman

Kirk, this seems like a fantastic program. Please email the javascript to me when you get a moment.

57. Jude

Excellent! Thank you!

58. Brandon

Would love to this too! If there’s any way I could get this email? Thanks Kirk!

• Kirk

Hi Brandon. I just sent you the JavaScript.

59. Ryan

Please email JavaScript too please

60. Kristin

I’ve tried adding the web clipper over & over & it won’t work. Can u plx e.m. me JavaScript too? Thx so much!

61. paul

Hi Kirk, can I add to the JS cue ;-) ? thx in advance

• Kirk

Paul and Kristen, I have sent you the JS.

62. Xenia

Hi Kirk! I’m so excited to start using this! Would you mind sending the code to me as well?? Thank you!!

63. Adianice

Hello! Can I please get an email of the js? Thank you.

64. Barb

Could you please email the script for spring pad clipper, glad I found this site, much frustration! Thank you so much, u r so kind!

65. C

Any chance you could email me the magic too? Thanks!

66. Lars

Works great on ipad, but cannot get it working on my iphone. Could you send the JS via mail? Thx!

67. will

Can you please email me script as well?

68. Dana Bauer

Hello Kirk,

I am in love with the spring pad app but cannot get the spring it function to work. Would you mind sending me the JavaScript?

Thanks so much,

Dana

69. Bmiles

Could I get an email with the JavaScript code? Thanks!

70. Bmiles

Never mind got it to work. You are awesome!!!

71. Wendy

Hi, when you have time can you please email me the JavaScript? Thank you.

72. Claudia Hardenburg

Hi Kirk-Downloaded Springpad yesterday and cannot get spring into my bookmarks bar. Would you mind sending another email with the JavaScript?

Claudia

73. PrinLeia

Thank you so much, Kirk! The ‘updated’ link worked and I now have the clipper on my iPad!

74. Rand

I got it to work BUT I probably have an incorrect understanding of a web clipper. I thought it could “capture” an entire web page for offline or later viewing. Or can your script do that but I just know how to do it? I see the options for notes, album, etc. But nothing for capturing the entire web page as in EverNote or Read It Later. Thank you for clarifying this matter to my sputtering brain!

75. Rand

I got it to work but I thought the web clipper would b able to capture an entire web page for later or offline viewing, no? Like EverNote or Read It Later?

Thanks for sharing!

• Kirk

If you select all of the body copy and then clip the page then it will save all of the copy on the web page. I hope that makes sense.

76. Mark

Could I get an email with the JavaScript code? Thanks!

• Kirk

Hi Mark. I have sent you the script.

77. Bill

Hi Kirk, can you email the JavaScript please? Many thanks.

78. Bill

Got the text file Kirk and it works a treat. Many thanks for your work on this. Best wishes.

• Kirk

Thanks Bill. I am glad it worked for you.

79. Ally

Hullo Kirk….been reading the above and it looks like you are the main man. Please may I also have the updated java script to enable Spring Pad to work on my IPad….many thanks

80. Shannon

Hi Kirk, looks like you’ve been able to help many with the updated java script to enable Spring Pad to work on my IPad. Hoping that you can still send it to me even though months have passed! Many thanks.

• Kirk

Shannon and Ally. I have sent you both the JavaScript.

81. Joanna Dee

Thank you so much! This is brilliant.

• Kirk

Thanks Joanna. I am glad you like it.

82. Amanda

This is awesome and works perfectly! Thanks so much Kirk, it’s exactly what I was looking for :)

83. Michael Marrison

Hi Kirk Please could you also email me the java script.
    Many Thanks
    Mick

• Kirk

Hi Mick, I have emailed you the JavaScript.

84. Michael Marrison

Genius- thanks Kirk it worked a treat. This is a brilliant example of the Springpad community spirit really working
    Regards
    Mick

85. Paul

Hi there

Would you mind emailing me the script. Thanks!

86. Daniel

Good Morning Kirk! I’ve been using this for awhile and it’s been immensely useful. However, as of late it won’t recognize any media on the pages I clip. Here’s a link to a screenshot: http://springpadit.com/daniel.omorrow/6cdb086f/aa5d/467b/af64/1ef550dd9f6f

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

87. Sandy wright

Like many others, I too am having difficulties getting this to work. Could you email me the JavaScript as well?

88. Sandy

Plead send email with JavaScript. Thank you!

89. Jessica

Thank you so much, this is awesome!!

90. Amy Sanborn

Kirk-this is awesome!!! Thanks so much for posting the Javascript for the ipad!!! Love this app!!! Thanks again Amy

91. Lisa

Hi Kirk, Thank you again for your help with the iPad web clipper. I cannot get it to work, would you mind emailing me the script? Thanks!

–Lisa

• Kirk

Lisa, I have just sent you the script. Enjoy.

92. Katin from Springpad

Hey Kirk & everyone else! I wanted to let you know that we are working on new version of the Springpad clipper – and it will be optimized for the iPad and iPhone!

If you’re already using the clipper, you don’t need to do anything – when we release the new clipper, it will automatically replace your current clipper.

We’ll be releasing it in the coming weeks – I’ll be sure to post a follow-up comment here!

Just wanted to give you a heads up! katin@springpartners.com

• Kirk

Katin, That is awesome news. Will it run as a JavaScript and will it have more functionality? Thanks for your great communication.

93. Elizabeth

Hi Kirk,

I too tried to paste the javascript from your comment and it didn’t work. Would you mind emailing me the javascript? Thanks!

• Kirk

Hi Elizabeth, I just sent you the script.

94. Grace

Please email me the code. I tried copying from your comment but it just didn’t work. Thanks a million !

95. Karen

Could I get an email with the JavaScript? Thx!

96. Katin from Springpad

Ok, the new clipper is up! It’s got lots of new features (namely iOS optimization!), plus we’ll be making more improvements to it over the coming weeks.

The new clipper runs the same javascript code as the old clipper, so you don’t need to do anything to get the update. Even better, we’ve added installation instructions right to the Springpad iPhone/iPad App. Here’s how to install the clipper for your iPhone or iPad (video): http://blog.springpadit.com/2011/09/how-to-install-the-springpad-clipper-for-your-iphone-or-ipad/

97. nozero

Could you send me a copy of the js please? Thanks!

Respectfully,
    Michael

98. Eileen

I just tried to install the new clipper but I can’t get it to work. When I try to use it I am told to log in to springpad.com. When I log in nothing happens I just get another. Lank login screen…please help I love springpad and. Red clipper ! :)

99. […] Springpad Web Clipper for iPad » kirksample […]

100. Shane

is there any chance i could get this wonder script mailed to me please Kirk as im pulling my hair out trying every piece of code and info ive found online and when i try to clip something it isnt asking me to log in on the ipad not sure why and then it shows me the option to save it to notebooks i dont even have so somethings obviously not right but i cant work out for the life of me what?

• Kirk

Hi Shane, Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have sent you an email with the javascript. I hope it helps. Cheers, Kirk

101. Lori

Hi Kirk, I would love to have sringit on my ipad. If you are still sending e-mails out with the Javescript, I would be so grateful.! Thanks

102. Pati Mosedale

Hi there i am new to spring pad and can’t get it to work on my ipad – could I have the java script emailed to me so I can get the web clipper.
    Many thanks
    Pati

103. Pati Mosedale

Please help – i need the java script for the Springpad web clipper as I can’t get it to work on my ipad. Hope you are able to help me.
    Regards